Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with VLOOKUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguinspeaks

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
US
I am having an issue when using VLOOKUP
I have a sheet that has players listed. To the left of the name, there is a number drawn that represents the team number they are drawn to. I have a lookup area that looks for each number represented. All formulas work fine with the exception of 2 of them. I have the sort set to false, as the names are based on the order that they sign up so it will not be in ascending order.

I have two sets of formulas for this. One has the first player of the team they are drawn to and the second has the second player drawn. I put a 1 next to the first drawn player and a 101 next to the second team member(I use 101 here due to the fact that 11 would represent 11), and for the rest I use 2 and 22, 3 and 33......., 11 and 1111, 12 and 1212... and so on. THe number structure that I use should not matter in the lookup, or does it?

Here is code:
Code:
=VLOOKUP(5;C$7:D$20;2;0)
this should find the number 5 and display the name in the column to the right. It does not do this, it displays #N/A
I am uploading the file to see if anyone can find my issue

Any help would be appreciated.

Bam

hi,
it displays #N/A
#N/A means that it cannot find the NUMBER 5 in the lookup column.

Are you absolutely certain that the value that you expect to find in the lookup range is a NUMBER 5 and not a CHARACTER 5? BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

Do you have a MIXTURE of NUMBERS and TEXT in lookup column C?

Leading or trailing SPACES in lookup column C???

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I found the problem. My range was not large enough. Thanks for ideas to make me think :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back