Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with using different ISP from DSL provider

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrGrafix

Technical User
Jul 11, 2003
US
At work, we are using verizon dsl. Our web page is hosted by a small (local?)ISP called MAP Internet. I have a email address that uses our domain name that was working fine until a couple of weeks ago. Apparently verizon is taking measures to prevent spam and they are not (easily) allowing mail forwarding or bouncing or whatever you call it.

So now, my email is dead, and I need some help which verizon or map can't seem to provide. I need to know if there is any way that you can configure either outlook express, outlook, or maybe even thunderbird so that I can use either my domain-oriented email or maybe even my gmail account in one of these mail programs.

I typically start off by setting the incoming server to incoming.map.com and the outgoing to outgoing.verizon.net. For some strange reason, I'm not getting a pop-up that asks me to input my username/password. And of course, I can access the net quite easily, and using gmail or hotmail isn't a problem as long as I don't use Thunderbird or Outlook (or OE).

There has to be a way to configure this, but the Map guy points to the verizon guy and the verizon guy points back. Nothing gets resolved because they don't support each other.

So can anyone help me out?

Mike

I'm not sure I completely understand. Your domain name is registered through Map? When you send email to youremail@yourdomain.com does it go to a Map mail server? If that is true, then depending on how much access Map gives you, you need set the Map server so it will forward mail for youremail@yourdomain.com to your Verizon email address.

Awingnut...

Maybe I confused you... sorry. Here's the deal:

1. We use Verizon Biz DSL to access the internet.
2. We use Map to host our web page (much cheaper I guess).
3. I'm receiving mail fine with the setup using mail.map.com as my mail server (incoming).
4. Verizon bounces back ALL my outgoing emails because I'm using them as the outgoing server.

Verizon's new spam policy is so strict that they apparently won't let you send email through their servers unless they host your page. I was also told by either verizon or map techies that the only way they'd allow this is a more expensive static IP.

On top of this, I can access the internet and use outside mail services like hotmail or gmail... but only if I use their respective site to login. Once I try to use Outlook Express or Thunderbird as the mail program, only incoming works.

Hope this made more sense.

i have a similar setup to this. here is how i use OE & Outlook:

OE is used thru my ISP (verizon.net) - no relaying of other email identities

Outlook is used thru my business domain (mydomain.com) - using SMTP relay

ask your MAP service provider if they have SMTP relaying & have it implemented

when someone sends me an email to the incorrect email address i just forward it to my other email identity.

eyec...

Since we have Verizon as our DSL provider, lets call them my ISP. Now, Map Internet is also an ISP, but all they do for us is host our web page, and allow me to use an email. If I go to map internet online, I can logon using my email address and password. I can read and send mail. Map is working fine on its own, and in fact, all my incoming emails are being received without a hitch in outlook express.

What is confusing me is why I can access the net using verizon, but I cannot send email using outlook express or outlook. Verizon tells me its because we have a dynamic IP, and it's because they don't host our web page, and stuff like that.

That's where I'm lost.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back