Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with update query for changing price 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinitymarie

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
Using Access 2000
Linked to database with 1500 Item Numbers
Made Table from the database OriginalPricingTable
Item Number and Price fields
Item Number is text B700000345123 to B760006345123
Price is number 22.39
Query OriginalPricingTable criteria Like “B7?000034?123”
Does not always work
Sometimes works with the Linked Table and sometimes works with
Made Table
I have even gotten it to work with Made tables full of different criteria.
Could the problem be that it is text comprised of letter characters and numeric characters and using the ? as the wildcard?

Well
"B760006345123" is not like and will not match
"B7?000034?123".

But characters that we think are numbers, are not numbers to Access when they are stored in text fields, so that is not the issue.

and I'm wondering if LIKE without the * does anything different than '='???

and I'm wondering if LIKE without the * does anything different than '='
Leslie, ? stands for any single character ( ANSI syntax: _ )

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

so it's like a wildcard in the middle of the criteria? That's cool, you're always so helpful! Thanks,
Les

I'm confused, was there an answer mixed into all this?
It does work at times. I am making the table from a large PSQL database to update pricing on a small portion of the database. For some reason I get nothing on any new tables I make even with just one criteria. Any help out there.

Solved the problem. I exported Made table to Excel, Defined PRINT AREA and Saved it. Imported it back into Access and all went well. I was able to use criteria with ? wildcard to update prices. Set multiple criteria into 4 sequential criteria tables and sequentially updated original Made Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back