Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Ultra 20 after installing nge drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorganGreylock

Programmer
Jan 30, 2001
US
I have an Ultra20 x86 running Solaris 10 6/06, and I tried to use my sound device and was basically given a message that my sound driver wasn't installed. I went to my Supplemental CD that came with my workstation and ran the install script under the drivers/sx86/ directory, and when it was finished (successfully it reported) it told me to reboot. Once I did that, my workstation is now in a constant state of reboot. I see the Sun logo (which I have since disabled to troubleshoot the BIOS settings, to no avail), then I get the grub menu (same options as before) so I select the Solaris 10 entry, then it pauses for a few seconds, then sends a couple screens of messages that look partially like hex codes, then it says 'finished syncing filesystems' then immediately reboots. I can get into the system via the 'Solaris Failsafe' entry in the grub menu, but then everything is mounted in a ramdisk on /a. I checked via the Failsafe boot option, and nothing has been written to /var/adm/messages since I last had a working system.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before or know what else I can try to get it working? The package the script said it installed was called SUNWnge, which I also tried to remove, and it said it removed parts of it, but my situation has not changed. I also tried resetting the bios configuration, also to no avail. I loaded the bios fail-safe settings, and also tried to disable the onboard audio card in the bios (thinking maybe the hardware was bad) but also had no effect.

Any help or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. My productivity is crippled without the use of this thing. I have a case open with Sun, but they aren't having any luck either.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back