Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with UDP packet

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiral123

Programmer
Sep 9, 2002
CA
I am encountering an unusual issue. I have a send receive program for udp packets written in VB.net on a windows 2003 standard server. It receives from a custom piece of hardware and is supposed to send an acknowledgment. It sends the ack but it is not recognized on the other end. When the same program is run from my windows xp box the system works perfectly. The packet is still sent from the 2003 box but something is different. Any ideas at all on what could be the problem I posted in the windows 2003 forum and here?

It could be a firewall issue? Try double checking the firewall settings on the 2003 server, it may be blocking ack packets..

no as i said the ack is being sent it appears to be more a problem with the way the UDP is being sent or maybe with the way its converted to binary

So, you recieve something the other end, but it isn't the same as when its sent by your xp machine?

Could it be the encoding, have you tried changing it to the ones bellow:

System.Text.Encoding.ASCII
System.Text.Encoding.Unicode
System.Text.Encoding.UTF7
System.Text.Encoding.UTF8

With this I am guessing that you read the bytes from the stream, then convert them to a string.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back