Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with txt file format

Status
Not open for further replies.

leec3

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2002
US
I have created a specialized report in Access, and it prints fine on paper. It lists a series of transactions that need to be imported to another package, one transaction per line (less than 30 characters). But if I export this file to txt format, I get a series of blank lines. It goes like this:
1 blank
2 data
3 blank
4&5 data
6 data
7 blank
8&9 data
Repeat of above untill end.
Can anyone tell me what is making this happen, and how to fix it?

This sounds similar to something I had happen with a dot matrix printer. My problem was that Access was doing its very best to lay out the report exactly as I'd defined it. My dot matrix printer had fixed line heights of 1/6", but the controls on my report weren't separated by units of 1/6", so Access was positioning the data to the nearest corresponding line on the printer. When some controls were shifted up and some down, a blank line was left between them.

For me the solution was to adjust my controls' positions and sizes so that they corresponded to the printer's line boundaries. If you're 'exporting' your report by printing it to a text file, that might help you, too. Rick Sprague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back