Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with the "Mail Transfer Options" menu in Eudora

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toran

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
DE
Hello,

I've got a problem with my Eudora 5.1.1 , Eudora 5.2 in sponsored mode made no difference.

I have created several personalitites that give different names (but the same email adress).
I want to be able to write mails with each of the personalities, so different sender names
will appear for the recipients of my mails.
Further I want to have mails sent every time mails I use the function "Check Mails". So this option
in "Tools"/"Options" Checking Mails is active.

Now it is not necessary (and possible) to check all different personalities for mail
every time mails are checked (for it's the same email adress, there cannot be multiple logins). So I would like to disable the "check mail" in "properties" for the "sub"-personalities.
THIS results in those wether checked (would be okay), but also not sent, even if queued.
I can send those mails by using the "Send Queued Messages"-command, but this seems "unnecessary" work for me.

Now I wanted to use the "Mail Transfer Options" (Shift+Check Mails) to select "not retrieve"
for the sub-personalities - but neither can I make different settings for one of the listed personalities,
nor can I change settings for any personality at all! Every time I call up this menu, the settings are the same as before...?

Is there anything I could do, or is it just a bug that has not been corrected?

Thanks in advance,

Toran

I want to be able to write mails with each of the personalities, so different sender names
will appear for the recipients of my mails.

It sounds like you want to send spam,, but I hope not and I will feel bad if I ever see any from you.
The way to do this is to click on right on each personality, click on the incoming mail tab, and make sure that the server name is left blank for all but your primary email address.
This should work, but if your ISP only allows registered email addresses to send email, you will have to register each address.

Now I wanted to use the "Mail Transfer Options" (Shift+Check Mails) to select "not retrieve"
for the sub-personalities ....
By leaving the incoming mail server name blank, you will be to download only for one email address.
Please tell us all that you do not plan to send spam!!!!

First, to remove your objections, it's not for spam, but just for easy use - I have ONE adress, but sometimes I want to appear with an official title (work mail), and sometimes I want to appear just with my nick name (for those that know me).
Had not clarified that because I thought it not to be necessary, but if I brought up objections to reply to my request, hope that helps!

To the problem - Following this makes Eudora give me this error: No POP account entered. Please choose the Options item from the Tools menu and set the POP account.

Any idea..?

Toran,
Please send me your email address (one of them), and I will send you some screen shots of how I have things set up. It might be that you have not put in the SMTP server name (something like mail.mymail.com, depending on your ISP. It is also possible that your own OSP only allows email to go out if it comes from an email address that is registered to it., .e., if you signed up with the ISP as toran@mymail.com, it will only allow outgoing email from that address. My ISP doesn't care so I can send from any address I set up.

Toran,
Please send me your email address (one of them), and I will send you some screen shots of how I have things set up. It might be that you have not put in the SMTP server name (something like mail.mymail.com, depending on your ISP. It is also possible that your own ISP only allows email to go out if it comes from an email address that is registered to it., .e., if you signed up with the ISP as toran@mymail.com, it will only allow outgoing email from that address. My ISP doesn't care so I can send from any address I set up.

First, my main email adress is e.pollmann@gmx.de .

Please note that I wrote that I want to use just a different NAME to appear, not a different ADRESS.

So I want the FROM: to show &quot;xxxxx <e.pollmann@gmx.de>&quot;
in most cases (dominant) and sometimes &quot;yyyyy <e.pollmann@gmx.de>&quot; (alternate personality).

Using the personality works perfect, no problem at all (it is correctly set up, I know how to do that) - if I don't check the mails for the dominant at the same time. If I let both personalities check at the same time, I get an error, since I cannot log in twice at the same time with the same account (understandable).
If I do uncheck the &quot;Check Mail&quot; in the properties of the alternate personality, then the alternate will not be checked for mails - good, but the mails composed with this personality will also not be sent when mails are checked (neither automatically all x minutes nor when I use the &quot;Check Mail&quot;), only the messages of the Dominant will be sent (I've enabled &quot;Send on Check&quot;).
I can only send the alternate mails when using the &quot;Send queued messages&quot; function, but I'd like only to use the &quot;Check Mail&quot; button and the automatic mail checking.

I found out that the &quot;Mail Transfer Options&quot; is only a one-time use, so it's not what I was looking for. Is there any way to achieve with Eudora what I'm looking for..?

THX,
Toran

Ok, JFYI, the way I intended to configure Eudora seems NOT to be possible - unfortunately.
Who wants to achieve what I did could use the &quot;Send Immediate&quot; function of Eudora, this one works..

THX for the help, it was very appreciated!

Toran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back