Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with TCP/IP in win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

asociate

Programmer
Apr 14, 2002
IN
My system is compaq deskpro with win98 and is participated in our domain.the problem which iam facing is it is not appearing in the network when browsed from any other system but from this system i can see others.tcpip is configured and static ip address is alloted to this system.iam able to copy files from other system this is only one way. even i changed the nic card also. i checked every setting like workgroup, domain name etc. even the tcpip is binded to the nic card.its even giving socket error .when iam installing the personal webserver its saying that tcpip is not installed in the computer.i even updated with the latest winsock files.still the problem is there. i even reinstalled the tcpip protocol but it giving the same problem.

can any one suggest me how to overcome this problem.

Thanks in advance
arun

Have you enabled file (and optionally printer) sharing and shared at least one resource (drive, folfer, printer)? You can do this from network properties if you haven't.

I agree with previous answer from wolluf but would like to add that upgrading IE to version 6 solves this kind of winsock weirdness. Especially if you're running IE 5.0 or earlier

i have enabled file and print sharing also.
even i upgraded to ie 6. but the problem couldn't be solved.and more over iam not in a position to freshly reinstall windows 98 in the system becoz of a software which is very very important for our people to work.

Have you tried to un-install microsoft network, and file and printer sharing, shut down reboot and then reinstall same. might be files are corrupted. "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

i have uninstalled all the network components and reinstalled . we even changed the nic cards also.and loaded the drivers which came along with them.

You do have client for microsoft networks as your primary network logon and are logging into an NT domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back