Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with System Restore. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim36320

Technical User
May 10, 2003
US
I did an exact image backup copy of my master drive to the slave drive and after the copy, my System Restore doesn't work on the copy.
My OS is XP Home and I used Power Quest Drive Image to do the back up. The error message is "System Restore encountered a problem and must close" I recopied 2 or 3 times and got the same message. Does anyone have an idea of what I am doing wrong.
Thanks in advance.
Jim G.

A great system restore troubleshooter site:

------- From my notes:

This error may occur if the primary hard drive or boot partition has been changed/upgraded/replaced and software from the hard drive vendor (such as MaxBlast from Maxtor or Data Lifeguard from Western Digital) has been used to move the data from the old to the new drive.

Solution:
Click Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services.
Right-click System Restore Service and click Properties.
From the Startup Type drop-down, select Disabled.
Click OK.
Close the Services and Administrative Tools windows.
Right-click My Computer, click Properties, and click the System Restore tab. The System Restore tab should now display properly; however, the System Restore service will be disabled.
Enable System Restore and click Apply.
Note: All previous restore points will be removed.

-----------------
Note #2: Re-install System Restore

1. You will need to be able to view hidden files, so go to Start>> Control Panel>> Folder Options>> View tab. Under Advanced settings, place a checkmark in: "Show hidden files and folders". Then uncheck: "Hide extensions for known file types". Click Apply, then OK to exit.

2. Open Windows Explorer, then go to Windows>> inf folder. Open the inf folder and find a file named:

sr.inf

Right click this file and select "Install" from the resulting menu.

Note: This procedure will delete all restore points from your old installation and recreate a fresh installation of System Restore.

------------

What are you trying to schieve? Have you tried booting off of the slave drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back