Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with stylesheet in Netscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkom

Programmer
Apr 14, 2000
CA
Hi, I have a problem with my stylesheet in Netscape(I'm using 4.7) here it is :

When you type the URL of my web site, the stylesheet code apears (in the browser) instead of the page itself.

If you hit the BACK button, then you see the intended page. after that if you navigate inside the site or go to another site and then return it still works.

It looks like once Netscape loads the stylesheet in it's cache there's no more problem but when you first go to my site after opening Netscape the stylesheet code apears.

B.T.W this doesn't happen in IE.

Can anyone help ??????

Assuming that you are using an inline stylesheet (the <STYLE> tag stuff), I would try to remove that and create a seperate file called, let's say, style.css. You can then include in your header section the following tag:
<LINK rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='style.css'>
and that will import all your styles into your page. This is especially helpful on sites that use a consistent style across many pages. This way, if you ever want to make a change, you only have to do it once.

Hope this helps,

brendanc@icehouse.net

That is exactly what I am doing, calling an external .css file as so :

<LINK rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='style.css'>

And the result is what I have stated previously.

here is my code :

<HTML>

<HEAD>
<META http-equiv=&quot;Content-Type&quot; content=&quot;text/html; charset=windows-1252&quot;>
<TITLE>VICTOR - Développement</TITLE>
<META name=&quot;GENERATOR&quot; content=&quot;Microsoft FrontPage 4.0&quot;>
<META name=&quot;ProgId&quot; content=&quot;FrontPage.Editor.Document&quot;>
<link rel=&quot;stylesheet&quot; type=&quot;text/css&quot; href=&quot;
</HEAD>

<FRAMESET rows=&quot;110,*&quot;>
<FRAME name=&quot;en_tete&quot; scrolling=&quot;no&quot; noresize target=&quot;principal&quot; src=&quot;WDJhead.html&quot;>
<FRAME name=&quot;main&quot; src=&quot;WDJsousMain.htm&quot; scrolling=&quot;auto&quot;>
<NOFRAMES>
<BODY>

<P>Cette page utilise des cadres, mais votre navigateur ne les prend pas en
charge.</P>

</BODY>
</NOFRAMES>
</FRAMESET>

</HTML>

seen that already : sometimes when you link to a file with full path, then ns tries to display the linked file
if the css file is not on your server, try to get it. When it's on your side then use a relative path

It is on my server and I have tried with a full and a relative path.

It still doesn't work.

This is a know bug of Netscape... There is no real cure... At Least Update to 4.76. I'm not sure, but I thing it's correct in this versin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back