Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosquicklier

Technical User
Jul 20, 2003
I have the strangest problem with my sound. I have a Dell laptop, and no matter what I hook into the speaker out slot, all I get is a soft high pitched noise. I've tried speakers and headphones, and I get the same result.

However, on a pair of speakers that I tried, I turned the volume all the way up on everything, and I could faintly hear the music I was playing. It was very muffled and difficult to make out. This does not happen with my headphones.

This problem does not occur with the line in slot in any way at all, so that led me to believe that it wasn't the sound card. Regardless of that, I reinstalled my sound card drives, and no change. I've also reinstalled my graphics card drivers, thinking that it might be something to do with the monitor refresh rate.

Furthermore, the high pitced sound changes from time to time. Occassionally, when I strike a key (especially the up and down arrows), the sound goes a way while I have the key depressed. Normal music or normal sound does not return, but the high pitched noise goes away momentarily. Also, whenever I minimize or maximize any window, a very strange noise occurs on top of the high pitched sound. It sounds like a faint buzz saw, and it lasts for only a fraction of a second. This only happens when I minimize or maximize. It doesn't happen when I switch windows or anything else like that.

Whenever I scroll up and down a window (either using my mouse to manually move the scroll bar or clicking the up and down arrows), a scratchy noise occurs.

This is all that I can think of that pertains to my problem right now. I'm willing to take just about any suggestion.

just one question . Do you still have warranty on the laptop ?

-
mobajwa

Yes I do still have the warranty on the laptop, and I have it for another year thankfully enough.

Two things, however. I'd really like to avoid sending my laptop off to be repaired for any amount of time. Though I'm sure Dell would do a fine job fixing it, I'm also sure that it would take forever and endure countless delays.

Also, the situation has changed regarding the noise. It now comes from both the line in and the line out jacks, but it still changes from time to time. Furthermore, no matter how high up the volume is, I cannot hear anything coming out of the speakers as I did before.

Am I just going to be stuck with sending my laptop in for repair?

Am I just going to be stuck with sending my laptop in for repair?

since the warrantly can still be honored, that's the best and wisest option you have. better to ask for a replacement unit as it may just be other issues involved (sounds like grounding problems to me).

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [knight]
philippines

"Once a king, always a king. But being a knight is more than enough."

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll see what I can do in terms of sending my unit in for repair rather than get a new laptop. I'd love getting a shiny new one, but I'd much rather stick with the configuration that I have.

Is there anything I can do in terms of trying to repair it myself? Obviously I'm willing to go inside the laptop, and I know that's not easy. I'm definitely not an expert, but I know what's what inside a computer, so I'm not quite a novice either. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

just a piece of advice: if you try to repair it yourself now, warranty will be voided. and when you find out that the problem is bigger than what you can handle, its too late for the free repair/replacement unit.

if you are concerned with the data you have in your hd, maybe you could have a new replacement unit (exact model and make) with that hd installed so there'll be no re-installation needed.

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [knight]
philippines

"Once a king, always a king. But being a knight is more than enough."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back