Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with sm56PCI modem and windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonW

Technical User
Nov 6, 2001
US
I am having a lot of trouble getting the motorola 56PCI modem to stay connected. When it dials out, it connects, verifies, then disconnects. Except, it's not really disconnected!

I get "page cannot be displayed", "cannot connect to server" or blue fatal exceptions refering to 0028: xxxxxx in Vxd.

the modem installed on com4, 1 and 2 appear to be disabled on this machine, but changing the com port to 3 had no effect.

Reinstalling the win98 did no good either.

Please help!!!! (I'm going out of my mind)

the modem is defective... get a new one for about 20 bucks or return that one

iam getting problem with modem to connect while the system starts it shows a message that "unable to communicate your modem hardware".i uninstalled the modem and installed many times but it is showing the same message.while i connect also it shows the same message.please tell me the solution for it

well its quite easy one if it works for u all u have to do is open modem properties and go to extra initialise settings
in the box just enter at&fs=x1l3 its a modem initialising command..

happy surfing

Hi there, I have had the same problem as iamthrilok@yahoo.com (feb 16). I went to modem properties as mastguy suggested, but couldn't find a box that said 'extra initialise settings' specifically. So i entered the command in a box i found deep within properties that said 'extra settings'. But that didn't seem to help. Mine is a motorola sm56 internal modem and I am running Windows ME. I really don't want to have to take my pc to some repairer who will say I just have to replace the modem. I would appreciate any help.
Cheers.

I am running winME and a Motorola SM56PCI speaker/phone/fax and am trying to update some drivers to prevent very frequent missed handshakes (modem/server connecting) and a few other issues.

Perhaps I have had some of the problems you've had and have gotten mine to work.

MOTOROLA SM56PCI Speakerphone Modem with driver version 4.10.80.5 with a file size of 56K and dated 11/12/99.

This modem would constantly and very frequently disconnect you from your internet connection, or take numerous and numerous times to complete the handshake (modem to server) without fail.

I downloaded this driver version 4.10.80.5 but with a file size of 320 KB and daetd 3/9/01.

While moving your current modem files elsewhere for insurance purposes, replace the folder the current files.

Once re-starting your machine, at least with me, most of my problems were eliminated. I have put down the active link to this. Let me know if it helps at all.

Sincerely,

mortician01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back