Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with signed fields in different COBOL II environments 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashton

Programmer
Jul 9, 2001
AU
I have a test and user acceptance testing system. I am told (And can not ascertain the accuracy of this statement) that the systems share loadlibs, share Cobol II environments etc. However, I can compile in test but not UAT. Now I have a load module I copied from test to UAT and did some displays. In test it stores a signed field with leading + or -, in UAT it does not store the sign even though the field is specified as SIGNED LEADING SEPERATE. I am having trouble which runtime option would control this, can anyone help me out?

Hi Ashton,

The only run time opt that seems to apply is NUMPROC. The only differentiation between the opts is that zero is considered + in one and not signed with the oter .

There is an install time opt (NUMCLS) that seems to work the same way for if numeric tests.

I looked at the blurbs and if you're not talking about a zero field, I don't see how the results are differing.

Maybe comparing the opts in the procs for each environment may help.
Another idea may be to check the compiler versions being executed with their runtime libraies, etc.

Regards, Jack.

Have you remembered to allow a byte for the sign?
i.e. Pic 9(6)v99 is really a 9 byte field if sign is separate

Also note that different compilers store signed numbers in different ways if sign is not separate, which is why you have to specify sign is separate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back