Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Show/Hide Layers?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripapHoniCs

Programmer
Sep 5, 2000
US
I am creating a navigation menu with approx. 10 catagories. My goal is to have each catagory setup with a layer that shows when the corresponding catagory is mouseover'd. I have gotten the catagory button to show and hide the layer on the mouseover and mouseout behaviors, however, when I mouseout of the catagory it hides the layer regardless. I took the 'hide layer on mouseout' behavior off of the catagory button and it works fine, only doesn't hide the layer once I am not on the catagory button. Understandable since I removed the hide behavior.

The layer has 'show on mouseover' and 'hide on mouseout' behaviors applied to it and works perfectly as long as the 'hide layer on mouseout' behavior is not applied to the catagory button.

So, now I have a catagory button that shows a hidden layer when it is mouseover'd, a layer that shows and hides when it's mouseover'd and mouseout'd. The problem is - when I mouseover the catagory button and do not mouseover the layer, the layer stays until it is mouseover'd, then it hides.

Is there a way to hide the layer using the catagory button that will not over ride the hide/show behavior on the layer? If I add a 'hide layer on mouseout' behavior to the catagory button (the obvious solution) it doesn't allow the hidden layer to stay open for browsing regardless of having a 'show layer on mouseover' behavior.

I have tried setting up a timeline where it gives 5 frames for the layer to stay open once the catagory button is mouseout'd, however, it still hides the hidden layer regardless of being on the layer itself. I do not understand why the layer does not stay open when I have a show layer on mouseover behavior applied to it. It's like the catagory button overides everything.

Man that sounds confusing. Sorry about the shady explination. Any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back