Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with shared contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J741

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
CA
The situation: Small business environment with 5 users accessing the exchange server using outlook 97. User1 has access to User2's contact list and User2 also has access to User1's contact list. If User1 creates a distribution list, the distribution list does not show up in User1's contacts, but does show up in User2's contacts. Also, if User2 creates a contact and tags it as personal, User1 can still access it.

So how can I allow both users to see each others contact list, without seeing each others personal contacts?

Also why does the distribution list created by User1 not show up in User1's contacts, but only in User2's contacts?

As for me, I'm quite experienced with Windows NT 4.0 server, but have almost no experience (and even less understanding) of Exchange server, so please be very specific with your replies, especially when specifying if any suggested changes need to take place on the server, or on the user's machine.

Thank you.
- James.

Doesn't anyone have any suggestions on this?

Well, one answer would be to use Public Folders for the shared Contacts list and then neither user would need permissions to view the other user's personal contacts. I wasn't clear from your post whether you were using public folders or not.

Earle

I'm not quite sure how to use 'public' folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back