Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with server connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi
I've managed to get hold of a old sun ultra 10 machine. I would like to turn it into a server.
My connection to the net is via dhcp.
However for some reason the sun machine always timeout while connecting to the net.
My other machines(PC's) on the hub connect fine.
I forget to mention. My broadband connection is connected to a 10base hub. This hub then connects the primary systems to the internet.
Basically dhcp does seem to work. I have also tried connecting directly to the broadband modem. Is there any known problem with sun network cards and dhcp.
thx.

Does your system get an IP assigned at all? Can you ping your other systems? Do you have DNS servers entries? Do you have a domain entry? Has the system ever worked as DHCP client somewhere else?

I am not aware of any issues with DHCP.

thx.
Basically the sun machine is the only machine that cannot get an dhcp ip address assigned to it.
I know it is not solaris, because my pc running solaris connects fine.
All I have done is created blank files for dhcp.hme0, notrouter .....
Same as my pc solaris.
I'm begining to wonder if it is a hardware thing. Although the network in the sun does work fine.
thx

Down the interface
# ifconfig hme0 plumb

Enable DHCP on your interface
#ifconfig hme0 dhcp

if you rx error messages regarding timeout,
check the DHCP server.

Check the dhcp status
#ifconfig hme0 dhcp status

you also need tp create
/etc/hostname.interface
/etc/dhcp.interface

Goodluck!

thx.
Nope that does not work.
The hme0 sends packets but receives none.
I know that it's not the dhcp server becuase me other pc's runnnig NT, solaris and linux connect fine.
Also i know the network card in the sun machine does work because I can transfer files between my other machines, if i assign a manual ip address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back