Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with RSA keys on HP-UX 11.31 ia 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

hifirock

Programmer
Sep 25, 2008
GB
I built cfEngine 3.0.5 for HPUX 11.31 ia64, and facing a problem. When I try to run cf-promises or cf-agent, I get an error that the RSA Exponent is too small or not odd. Here's the output from cf-agent

# ./cf-promises
Fatal cfengine error: RSA Exponent too small or not odd
Bus error(coredump)

# ./cf-agent
Fatal cfengine error: RSA Exponent too small or not odd
Bus error(coredump)

The keys for this host were created using cf-key. Any ideas what might be wrong?

that error is normally related to ssh itself, not to cf.

Look at the different options for ssh configuration, both outside and directly from cf.

And have a look here - may also point you to one or two of the possible issues.

I've installed SSH (which uses SSL) on both HP-UX and Solaris for Intel. As I recall, both systems have problems with not having a suitable source of entropy to use; specifically, neither system supports /dev/random.

I remember there was a patch for Solaris 8 and up to fix this; the HP-UX solution was to use some other source of entropy (EGRP?). I seem to recall SSH using various system statistics to generate enough randomness for this purpose.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

of a quote said:
some other source of entropy (EGRP?)

The source may have been thinking of prngd. Although we use SSH under HP-UX 11.31 ia64 and have never needed to (I last used prngd under Solaris 2.6 if I reclal correctly).

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back