Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem With Right-click on Desktop or in Explorer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRBecker

Technical User
Dec 30, 2001
US
Suddenly I can no longer right-click on my desktop to access an items properties, align Icons, etc. The problem also exists in an Explorer window. I can highlight an item with the right button with no problem. The right button acts normally anywhere else (e.g., within an application or on the system tray.)

I'm guessing something is not right in an INI or the registry. Anyone have any Ideas?

Thanks for the help. Brian
BRBecker20@yahoo.com

Brian,

backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

If you see an entry named NoViewContextMenu, right-click on it and choose delete.

reghakr

As stated elsewhere: I'll have to fire-up RegEdit and check for that string. I don't know how that could have been added/changed. I suppose it is something that Tweak UI or Xteg X-Setup could have messed with!

(I still have context menus when I right click on Start Menu!) The problem is only in an explorer window, on the desktop, and on My Computer...

I'll let you know if this is the problem (and then give you a star.) :) Brian
BRBecker20@yahoo.com

Well I almost did what you recommended. I changed the value from 1 to 0 using PC Magazine's Registry Detective and Registry Editor+.

That fixed it! You get your star! Brian
BRBecker20@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back