Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Report Width

Status
Not open for further replies.

rry2k

Programmer
Jun 28, 2001
US
I have a report that prints correct in portrait but when I switch to Landscape I get a message that says "section width greater than page width" It doesn't make sense because my report is 10" with 1" margins and my sections(report & 2 sub reports) end at 7".

Thanks for the help..Russ

Check for any text or graphics that fall outside of the page margin range. Assuming u are in design mode, drag all objects in tight, then after changing the page orientation. Also, I always give myself a (Left/Right) margin of error on the page sizes of .25. Try making your report slightly smaller... htwh Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"

I don't know if I am understanding you correctly but here is what I think you are saying.

If your page is landscape, then there is only 11 1/2" BEFORE your margins, and if EACH?? of your margins are 1" and your page is 10",then you are 1/2" off. Make your left and right margins a little less (.5 would work).

If you meant, your TOTAL margins are 1", then you're at 11" and I can't think of anything else it could be.

My page length is 10" and I have 1" right and 1" left.
When I preview my report I get a report header only on the first page then header and detail on the 2nd page.

"The Section Width in Greater Than The Page Width" means your page width dimensions are too much. As I said, if your margins are 1" on left and right and your page width is 10, then you are at 12" (1/2" over). Either make your margins smaller (say .5 each) or slide the page into at least 9.5 or bettter, 9.25.

Another thing you said was that your report and 2 subs are at 7". How long are your header sections and if applicable, your footer sections. The total of these, plus your margins can be no more then 8 1/2" (for Landscape). You have to add each section's length together to determine how long your page is. So, if your Report Header is 1" in Length, and your Page Header is 1" in Length, and your Footer is 1" in Length, the total length would be 10" - much more then 8 1/2" and you haven't taken into consideration your margins yet.

I'll be glad to look at it for you if you want.

Clem,

I would appreciate it if you could look at this. Per your suggestion I'm getting close but know I have a 3rd page that prints just headers. I really need to get this resolved. If you could give me your email address I'll ship it to you.

Thanks alot for the help and offer.

Russ

Ummmm..... 10+1+1 = 12
You're over an inch if your using 8.5 x 11 paper.

Also remember the ruler at the top is measuring from INSIDE the margin, not the edge of the paper. So if your report is going all the way to 7" its going 7" from the margin not the edge of the paper. So it actually is ending at 8" from the edge of the page.

Ok... my suggestion is to start the report over. Add each object one at a time (cut and paste from old report form). Set the margins very very carefully until u learn the maximum settings, etc. Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"

Finally got it. Thank you all very much for the help.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back