Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with "rexec" command

Status
Not open for further replies.

talam

MIS
Jun 22, 2001
CA
It looks like "rexec" command works from some servers while it does not work from others. [and yes, I know about the $HOME/.netrc file!]

Any insights is appreciated.... Thanks!

<SERVER 1>
# rexec jupiter3 date
Name (jupiter3:root): root
Password (jupiter3:root):
Thu Dec 13 16:26:36 CST 2001
# rexec 10.34.4.55 /home/ibmtom/ibmtom/process/test2.ksh
Name (jupiter3:root): ibmtom
Password (jupiter3:ibmtom):
hi
#

<SERVER 2>
root@develop01:/
> rexec jupiter3 /home/ibmtom/ibmtom/process/test2.ksh
Name (jupiter3.ca-chq.celestica.com:root): ibmtom
Password (jupiter3.ca-chq.celestica.com:ibmtom):
hi
root@develop01:/

<SERVER 3>
# rexec jupiter3 /home/ibmtom/ibmtom/process/test2.ksh
Name (jupiter3.ca-chq.celestica.com:root): ibmtom
Password (jupiter3.ca-chq.celestica.com:ibmtom):
rexecd: 0826-604 The login is not correct.

<SERVER 4 (DOS prompt of NT)>

D:\ciscomisc\javaTest\aug07mb>rexec jupiter3 /home/ibmtom/ibmtom/process/test2.ksh
Name (jupiter3.ca-chq.celestica.com:alliance): ibmtom
Password (jupiter3.ca-chq.celestica.com:alliance):
jupiter3.ca-chq.celestica.com: rexecd: 0826-604 The login is not correct.
rexec: can't establish connection

/Tanvir

You must to give the correct password [red]on[/red] each machine or server you're connecting to...

I hope it works...
Unix was made by and for smart people.

I used correct password on each machine... same userID and Password, but doesn't seem to work.

Finally figured out how to get the &quot;rexec&quot; working... I am not sure if this is the &quot;correct&quot; thing to do though. After adding the &quot;hostname/IP address&quot; (/etc/hosts)of the machine I want to run the &quot;rexec&quot; command from, to the machine I want to run the command on, it seem to have worked!

C:\>rexec jupiter3 -l ibmtom /home/ibmtom/ibmtom/process/test2.ksh
Password (jupiter3.ca-chq.celestica.com:):
hi
C:\>

Hi
I am also trying to execute the rexec command on the remote server but it gives this message

$ rexec d03dbs81 date
Login incorrect

My .netrc file has the correct userid and password

Also my /etc/hosts has this server entry

rexec service is enabled to run on the remote and the local machine (/etc/inetd.conf file)

Any Idea why i am getting this message

Thanks in Advance
Naveen

I also had trouble making rexec work in 2 different cases:

1. the server on which I wanted the execute the rexec had 2 network interfaces with bad routing table. Thus, I was calling it on an IP address, it answered on the other and rexec was asking for password whereas /etc/hosts.equiv, .netrc and so on were ok. Solved it by modifying routing table

2. I was accessing the server behind a gateway, on a different VLAN and it seems to be quite confusing for rexec. Maybe something to adjust on the gateway or some network mistery (my network administrator is on holiday !). Didn't solved this problem yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back