Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Query (DATEADD) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckh70

Programmer
Feb 4, 2004
US
Hello,

I am using the below string to pull the date out of our database which is in unix format, and convert it to something the user can read.

I used the following which works fine.

Code:
DATEADD(dd, Create_Time / 86400, '1/1/1970')

I found out yesterday that all of the records are 8 hours ahead, and after looking into the Application the use stores the date as GMT and converts it to the proper time in the application. I tried just wrapping another DATEADD around my current one that would just subtract 8 hours which I am having problems with, and I also realized I am stripping the time off. If I use the below I get datetime is invalid for argument 2 of dateadd.

Code:
DATEADD(hh, DATEADD(dd, Create_Time / 86400, '1/1/1970'),-8)

UNIX date is represented as number of seconds since 1970-01-01 so... why not using:
Code:
DATEADD(ss, (Create_Time -8*3600), '1/1/1970')
... then strip time off if necessary?

The reason you are getting the invalid argument is that you are using -8 as argument 2. It should be argument 1.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back