Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with PST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sectorboot

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2003
ID
Running Exchange 5.5 on top of Win NT 4 with Outlook 97 as the clients.

I exported a mailbox into PST file (logging as admin). Copy it to cdrom.
When I try to import it says something like... I don't have sufficient rights.
If I uncheck the readonly property it spit out message like... It is not a personal folder.

Help ??????

I already deleted the original mailbox.

thanks in advance.

Try copy the pst to a NTFS partition. Check the security property sheet and grant everyone full-controll.

First copy the .pst file from the CD to a hard drive. Remove the NT "read only" attribute from the .pst file, then import it.

Copying didn't work.
When you say grant everybody what do you mean wenhua ?

Removing the read only thing only generate new error "The file you accessing is not a personal folder" ?????

Am totally stomped here...

To set the permissions on a file, right-click the file and select 'properties'. Click on the 'Security' tab. If you are on a W2K box, simply add the user to the permissions list with full control rights. If you are on an NT box, click on the 'Permissions' button, and ensure the user has 'full control' permission.

Also, make sure the file has an extension of pst. If it doesn't, Outlook will not recognize it as such.

One note: if you have to ask what someone means by granting everyone full control, should you really be messing around with Exchange server?

Thank you for the reply Fuego...
I know how it sounded.
*smile*

When you talk about pst you're talking about three things here... rights to the personal folder... rights on the folder (in the mailbox) in exhange where you plan to restore the pst... and rights on file system on the OS ...

I might not be qualified (am not certified or something) but I was drafted *giggles* so am trying my best to do my job... and am in the job long enough to know it's a bad idea to assume anything.

I don't mind people look at me like am 5 years old... all I care is I solve the problem without making things worse in the way...

ANYWAY...
I think I figure out what's wrong... but haven't got the time to try it out. It's definitely not on the file system right setting like you explain so very clearly. Cause I check that first time...

It is I think the right on the folder in exchange where I want to restore the bloody thing. The default is to the owner of the mailbox... which is different from the owner of the mailbox when I export it.

I let everybody know if am right...

Thanks again to everybody and forgive me if this looks like a waste of time...
*slight nod smile*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back