Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem With Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahale2

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
Well I posted earlier about my PDC Compaq server problem. Thanks for all the responses. Just a recap the PDC was having a problem rebooting, pausing at system startup and waiting for a response at the console to either continue booting or to enter setup. All of the profiles and policies where stored on the PDC so even though the BDC was still online users did not receive their policies and profiles when logging in.

I have resolved this issue by moving all of the policies and profiles over to an NT 4.0 file server. Most accounts are working fine, but I do have a few that have gotten hosed somehow in the process. Also any new accounts I create recieve this error:

The operating system was unable to load your profile. Please contact your network administrator (2).

The users having the problem are logging in remotely to a NT 4.0 Terminal Server running Citrix Metaframe 1.8. Not all users are having the problem, just a few and any new accounts I create also recieve the error.

Normally when I've had similar profile problems in the past I simply would delete the users NT User account, Profile directory on both the Domain and the locally cached profiles on all Metaframe boxes, recreate the account and log the user in to recreate the profile. This has always worked but not this time. I have not seen this specific error however before. Usually the use has still been able to login, but they just recieve a generic profile. This time after the timer on the error message runs out their connection is terminated.

The first thing I noticed after reviewing the profile directory was that there was not a "Default User" directory. I then created one and copied the contents from a "Template" user directory into "Default User". I again made sure all previous user profiles both on the domain and cached locally on the Metaframe boxes were deleted and tried logging the user in. I recieved the same message. I then started from scratch deleting all references of the forementioned users profile and user directories on the network and then also deleted the user account in UMFD and recreated the account. I still received the message.

My only thought after blabbing all that out, is that I did create the "Default User" directory remotely and not locally on the box. Could this have an effect? I do have full network Domain Admin rights, so it doesn't click that it would make a difference in my head, but then again I only slept for 45 minutes on my office floor last night so perhaps not all marbles are there today. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Figured this one out fairly easily. Duh.... I realized that on the two Metaframe boxes I did not have a "Default User" in %systemroot%\Profiles. During my move of all the profiles one of the things I did was delete all of the idle profiles that sometimes get left behind on a metaframe box instead of being deleted when the user logs off or when their session is disconnected. In doing this I must have deleted the "Default User" profile from %systemroot%\Profiles.

I did not realize that when a user without a profile logged on they got the "Default User" profile from the Metaframe servers and not from the centralized Profile location on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back