Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Procomm 4.8 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilhenry28

Technical User
Oct 7, 2014
EG
Hello,
i have new laptop with win 7 , i tried to connect to Nortel Meridian 1 by using Procomm 4.8
i had connected but i couldn't log in, any body help me setting my software.

Does your laptop have a serial port, or a USB-to-Serial Port dongle?

Procomm Plus does work on Windows 7 32 bit and I'm told it also works for the 64 bit version. There are however a few tricks that you need to be aware of.

If your computer has another drive, e.g "D" etc, then install the program to that drive such as D:\Program Files\Symantec\Procomm Plus etc as the standard C:\Program Files has added Security restrictions that were introduced and I've found that this restricts Procomm from creating any log files and the ability to change the pw5,dir directory file.

There are ways round this by right clicking on the Symantec or Procomm folder and selecting properties and adding in full modify rights to the account users. I also add in "everyone" with full rights etc.

The actual program works in just the same way as when it was on XP etc.
As stated above, most computers don't have a comm port connector and you have to use a USB to Comm port cable. The main problem here is that it gets assigned a Comm port greater that "4" and Procomm only has ports 1 to 4 in the program.

My advice is to go into modem properties within Windows 7 and change the comm port to one that is allowed, usually "1". You should get get a connection OK.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Hello Nessman
i have laptop with serial port but i field to make connection with it
so, i used usb to serial adapter , it makes status connected but no log in
i wanna know ( Transfer Protocol ) , ( current Terminal )

I tend to use VT320 and the other settings are generally 8 1 none and the baud is 9600 on most systems. Your problem might be that you don't have a null modem adapter between the computer and the Nortel system.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I had an issue with WIN7 when creating entries in the directory. I named an entry "CS1000 DN:5555" everything looked ok, but it would not save the modem connection/setting ei: baud rate. I removed the : and everything saves correctly. DON'T PUT SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN THE ENTRY NAMES. That took me forever to figure out.

What type of modems are you all using?

I am trying to get a USRobotics 28.8 modem to work and not having much luck. I've tried entering this modem string shown below but no luck.

US Robotics Modem Setup connected to Meridian M51C, M61C, M81, M81C

To configure the U.S. Robotics Sportster & courier modem, follow these steps.
• Power off the modem.
• Set DIP switches 1, 3, 7, and 8 to the down. (All other switches should be up).
• Connect a terminal or computer running terminal emulation software to the modem.
• Set the terminal or computer to the Baud rate of the SDI port, 8 Data bits, 1 Stop bit, No parity.
• Turn the modem on and enter each command listed below with a carriage return (Press Enter or Return key).
Command Response Description
AT&F OK Load active profile (For Courier & V.92 Modem substitute ATZ3)
AT&H0 OK Disables flow control
AT&D3 OK Resets on receipt of DTR
AT&S1 OK Modem controls DSR (For Courier Model no response)
ATS0=1 OK Answer after 1 ring
ATS2=128 OK Escape character = ASCII 128
ATS7=60 OK Wait 60 sec for carrier
ATQ1 None Sets modem to quiet mode
AT&W None Store active profile
• Power off the modem.
• Set DIP switches 1, 4, down (all the others should be up).
• Power on the modem.

I can hear the modem connecting and it appears to connect, but I don't get any response from the PBX (CS1000E at 7.5).

I have tried to change the terminal type but nope.

Thanks.

You can go up to port 9 in procom. Go to system options current modem/connection then highlite com port and check make this connection available to procom plus.

I'm using Procomm 4.8 with Windows 7 64 bit without issue. Internal Modem and works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back