Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem With Printing: Urgent Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan007

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
CA
Environment:
Windows 2000; JSP UI; IE 6.0; SQL 2000
CRXI Java Reporting Components. No Enterprise server.

I am facing a problem in printing reports from IE browser.
I noticed that when we click the print button, it doesn't print but it exports to pdf instead. Most probably because my deault viewer is DHTML viewer and that is how the DHTML viewer is designed to work as a printing process in CRXI;
i.e, The DHTML print control, user need to be able to download files because it will export the selected pages to PDF, display the PDF, and user can print it from there.

All of our clients were accustomed to work in CR 8.5 environment where the Active X was the default viewer and they had the option of direct printing or Export seperately. It will be a huge amount of work to inform and change the printing process for thousands of users.

Is there a way, we can use the Active X as the default viewer in IE browser for CRXI java reporting components web based UI so that clicking the print button will actually make the report print.

I have changed the IE security Settings. Didn't work for me.
I read some where in forum that It can be an ActiveX print control, in which case the first time running a report that needs it, the logged in user must be an administrator or Power User on the client PC..Is it true?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks!

khan007 said:
I read some where in forum that It can be an ActiveX print control, in which case the first time running a report that needs it, the logged in user must be an administrator or Power User on the client PC..Is it true?

Yes..Since the control's DLL must be installed/registered, only an admin or Power User can do it - the same holds true for the ActiveX viewer's first use.
Not sure about changing the default viewer in that environment..Check with BO support ( or maybe someone here can help)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I encountered that problem when we upgraded to CRXI, Release 2. Here's what we did.
[ol]
[li]Make sure that the user has a default printer specified. Check the printer settings on the Control Panel[/li]
[li]Log in as a power user or administrator and delete the Crystal Print Control located c:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\[/li]
[li]Log off and have the user log in and try to print. The user will receive a pop-up in installing software.[/li]
[li]Click yes[/li][/ol]
If successful, the user should get the printer pop-up

-lw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back