Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with ping command

Status
Not open for further replies.

schooltechnical

Technical User
Mar 8, 2005
GB
hi, this might sound like a strange one. We have a windows 2k3 server, and about 50 winxp clients. We use dhcp and dns (the usual stuff). Our internet works absolutely fine -
broadband internet access, no problem whatsoever. But when i try pinging an internet site with ping (for example) it attempts to ping instead and then i get request timed out. Same with ping - this changes to request timed out. Like i say internet is working fine. I am able to ping other clients without a problem also. Anyone any ideas?
thanks, try and have a good day everyone

yes i am able to go these sites, my internet is working fine, it's just that when i try to ping say it says request timed out even though my internet is working no problem! it's a strange one...any further ideas would be most welcome
thanks again, try and have a good day

Yeah i get the same results when pinging any site -

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping
Pinging [66.102.9.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 66.102.9.147:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

This behaviour is normal.
Many Internet sites have their firewalls configured not to respond to ping requests.

If you can get to the site by typing the address in the browser then don't worry.

NOTE: is one site that does respond to pings. I use this for testing Internet connectivity.

Yeah neither does our company one and i have never worried about this in the past.

thanks everyone, this puts my mind at rest.
try and have a good day everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back