Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with PC gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcanon

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
CO
I have two computers tied with a cross cable. The first computer has 2 NIC's. The first one for link to the pc the second one link to my net.

I'm tryng to use the 2 NIC's computer as a gateway for the PC client as shown below

[tt]
____ _____ _____________
( ) ( ) (NETWORK )
( ) ( ) ( )
---- <----> ----- <-------> ( )
/ \ / \ ( )
------- ------- -------------
PC Client PC Gateway

eth0 eth0
195.165.10.5 195.165.10.1
255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0
Gateway:
eth1
172.16.1.129 172.16.1.x
255.255.0.0 255.255.0.0

[/tt]
from the pcgateway I can Ping to every place

from the pc Client:
- I can ping to 195.165.10.1 (first eth gateway)
- I can ping to 172.16.1.129 (second eth gateway)
- I CAN'T Ping to another pc in the net (p. ex. 172.16.1.9)

What I'm doing wrong? help please...

(the pc gateway has WIN ME )

what gateway software are you using

gunthnp
Have you ever woken up and realized you where not alive.

I suspect that you're using linux. If so, it might be an ipchains problem. If this is the case, post in one of the linux forums for more help.

he say he is useing me so are you useing internet sharing in me or a third party software

gunthnp
Have you ever woken up and realized you where not alive.

•Can you ping the &quot;PC Client&quot; from any computer on your Cloud (172.16.1.x) (?)

•Are you JUST setting this up, or it was working before?

You are pinging, you just are not hearing the reply.

The router on the network sees your gateway as a local address and never routes it to the non-Lan side of the router.

Assuming that you have a router somewhere on your cloud (the 172.16.1.x network) that takes you out to te internet, you would need to add a static route to that router, saying that any packet ment for the network 192.168.10.X needs to go to IP 172.16.1.129 (which is your gateway's eth1. I guess the gateway takes care of the rest internally.

Run:

C:\>route print

and check your current routes on both the gateway and the router (again, assuming you have one).

let us know if any of the suggestions worked out.
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back