Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with out of office assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirrom

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
GB
I have noticed that when I have my out of office assistant on only people on my internal email system receive the message. The outside world does not. Does anyone know how to remedy this.

Yes, there is an option that the Exchange administrator can set that will not allow automatic replies to the internet such as the out of office messages. This is done for security reasons to prevent Spam & loopbacks from occuring. M'soft even cautions people in using this particular setting.

cjordan is correct. There is a setting in the Exchange Admin program to allow such, and again, is correct in saying that Microsoft cautions the use of such replies. As an Admin, I would not allow replies to the outside world, and do not allow those at this time. You did ask for a remedy, that would be in the Exchange Administrator program.

If you want the exact way to enable this out of office, I assume you have Exchange 5.5? If you have Exchange 5.5 here is the exact way to enable out of office to the Internet:
(1) Open up the Microsoft Exchange Administrator program
(2) go to the Site
(3) Click on the "Connections" tab
(4) on the right hand side, double click on the
"Internet Mail Service". This will open up
the IMS properties
(5) Click on the "Internet Mail" tab. From this screen,
(At the bottom of screen) click on "Advanced Options"
(6) From Advanced options you will see from here if the
out of office is disabled. If this is check marked
you can deselect this. Click "ok" and now you should
see out of office working to the Internet. (Leave a