Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Opening Quark 4 Files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskung

Technical User
Jul 29, 2003
US
I have problems opening Quark 4 files in Quark 5 in Mac. because Quark 5 doesn't regconize my Quark 4 files. My instructor told me I should have put the qxd extension when I saved my file in Quark 4. Unfortunately it was too late when he told me that and I can't allocate a Mac with Quark 4 in it. Is there anyway I can recover my files? Thanks in advance!

Simply rename the file with '.qxd' within Finder - - you do not need Quark to do this.

Instead of double-clicking on the file to open it from Finder, try accessing the File>Open menu from within Quark 5.

- - picklefish - -

Hi jimoblak,
Thank you so much for your response. I tried to add the qxd file extension and also opened the file in the open menu but still couldn't work. My instructor told me I should have to add the extension when I first saved it in Quark 4. It would not work afterward. He also told me that Quark 5 can't read Quark 4 file for some weird reasons.

The file I saved in Quark 4 doesn't have the Quark logo icon and when I clicked on it, I was asked to choose what application to be used. However, I couldn't click on Quark to open it because it wasn't an option.

Is your Quark 4 on a Mac too? If so, you don't need the .qxd extension, although it's generally recommended that you do. Your instructor is wrong to say that it has to be added when saving - that's simply not true.

If it's not showing up in the Open menu, then something is wrong with the file. Either the extension is wrong (eg. it's called myfileqxd instead of myfile.qxd), it has multiple extensions (eg. myfile.doc.qxd) it has strange charactors in the file name (eg. my*file\version1.qxd), or it's simply corrupt.

Thanks for your help, Blueark! Yes, the Quark 4 was on a Mac. Originally, the file didn't have any extension when I saved it. I added the extension myself later on. I don't think the file is corrupted because I save the file on both a zip disk and a CD-RW and they both have the same problem.
Do you think it has to do with different version of Mac. O.S.?

I doubt if the OS is a problem, unless you've got a strange filename, or if it's too long. Even then, it's unlikely to cause problems. Is this happening with just one file, or have you tried with a few completely different files?

If it's just the one file, then it could be corrupt - saving copies onto different media won't help. When you add an extension, and open it using Quark's Open menu item, do you get an error message, or is it grayed out?

Blueark: It happened just on this file, but it did happen to me on other files before. When I used the open menu to open the file, the file was not there. Maybe because Quark didn't regconize the file.

I don't know if it has to do with my school's Macintoshs or not, I have been having problems with Quark since I first started using it. It seems that Quark is not a very user-friendly program as other Adobe's programs.

Dskung
Quark 5 can read quark 4 files, quark 4 can not read quark 5.
Did you try opening it up on a PC ? You would need the extension .qxd to do so.
Is the file large if its not to big for you to send, you can email it to me and I'll give it a try.
thom@thombathe.com

Thom

The longest jounney starts with the first step.

You mentioned Adobe's programs. Do you have InDesign or PageMaker? It may be worth a try at opening the QXD in these programs. PageMaker will need the Quark to PageMaker converter on the install CD. InDesign will open the file directly.

- - picklefish - -

Thombathe, thanks so much for the offering!
I installed Quark 5 on my PC yesterday, and suprisingly the file can be opened on my PC!! I was so happy because it saved me from doing the project again!

I think there is really something wrong with my school computers because it corrupted my other file again.

jimoblak, Thombathe and blueark: Thank you so much for your advices and suggestions. I really appreciated that!

Quark will open documents created in earlier versions of quark on the same platform

it will also open documents made on different platforms but in the same version

It cannot open documents of an earlier version and different operating system

So... a Quark 4 file created on a PC can be opened by Quark 5 running on a PC but NOT Quark 5 running on a Mac.

addition:

"Quark" isn't made by Adobe.. it's made by Quark.
The software is actually called "Xpress".

It's Quark Xpress, not Adobe Quark.

:)

PS sorry for the double post.. I forget there is no edit function for previous posts.

addition? Huh?

Quark XPress opens XPress documents only. Adobe InDesign opens InDesign, PageMaker and Quark XPress documents.

It appeared that dksung had access to Adobe apps so that's why Adobe was mentioned as an alternative to trying to wrestle with Quark.

:)

- - picklefish - -

Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

ahh.. sorry Picklefish :).

"I don't know if it has to do with my school's Macintoshs or not, I have been having problems with Quark since I first started using it. It seems that Quark is not a very user-friendly program as other Adobe's programs."

I read that as meaning that he thought Quark was an Adobe product.

and it was "addition:" as in it was an addition to my previous post about cross platform/versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back