Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Open File Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew2000

Technical User
Oct 28, 2004
US
Hey Guys,
Win 2000 Server, SP4.
Backup Exec 9.1

When my backups run (several servers backed up in one job) I get the following errors in my logs:

OFO: Backup Exec cannot communicate with the Advanced Open File Option component selected. If you just installed this option, reboot the computer that the option is running on, or try reinstalling the option.

Have tried rebooting and reinstalling the option, it is still giving me the the errors.

Have any of you seen this error before? I've searched this forum, Google, and Veritas support with no real ideas to try.

Thank you,

Andrew

Whoops--I forgot to add I am also getting this error:

Backup - ServernameOFO: Initialization Failure on: "\\Servername\C:" Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).

Hi. I'm getting the very same error. I hope someone has some answers.

Kate

Hi. I've found out that Advanced Open File Option does not work for netware. Uncheck it. I've also found out that 9.1 is very cludgy and many have uninstalled it and gone back to the previous installation of backup exec. I'm thinking about doing the same............

It seems I am a little late with my problem with 9.1 premium but I am hoping very sincerely that someone has the answer to my problem.

It runs along similar lines to Andrew2000, My error message keeps reading:

Job failed: semaphore timeout period has expired.

On investigation this leads all the way back to the Advanced Open File Option AOFO which again in turn leads to the Volume Snapshot Provider VSP.

The problem seems to be that all of my jobs fail because my systems keeps reading the error:

the advanced open file option software does not appear to be installed correctly.

From here I have done numerous complete un-installs and re-installs with absolutely no difference. The problem seems to be that on investigation from the veritas website that the driver vsp.sys has to be present and running in order to action the AOFO option. The problem however is that the Veritas support website covers only the problem of not finding the vsp.sys driver and through a search on our server I can find the vsp.sys driver but, for a reason it seems only celestial beings can determine, it will not work when it reasonably should.

I hope someone out there is able to help as I am completely baffled and after weeks of research I am at a complete loss. Please Please help.

Any luck on a solution? I am also experiencing the same issue with a clients server.

My message reads that the AOFO is not installed correctly, and I have reinstalled multiple times, and copied the VSP.sys and DLL files to their appropriate locations with no luck.

I had some issues with this but I applied all Backup Exec service packs and hotfixes to my BE server and then reinstalled all remote agents. I also had to install the latest MS XML Parser. Some file somewhere got "mucked up" and was causing weird things to happen. I have not had a problem since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back