Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with NVIDIA GeForce MX 400 (64MB) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirvana80

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
GB
Hi everybody,

I've just tried to install on a friend computer an NVIDA GeForce MX 400 with 64 MB of RAM. I plugged it in and no problem I can boot windows 2000 with its 16 colors but I can' go any further than that. Windows 2000 does not recognize it but I've go the right driver for Windows 2000 and XP. Once I've installed it doens't give me any error and ask me to reboot the computer as normal. After the computer restarted I still have 16 colors and I cannot change it. In Device Manager it say that the device is not working properly, I get an "error code 10" and the yellow circle it's on the device name. The device is AGP, but I've got a video adapter built in the computer. I haven't disabled it, Do you think would that make any difference? I also installed the general drivers downloaded from internet for NVIDIA graphic cards. You know the 11 megabite package but as I suspected that didn't help much.

Does anybody have an Idea of what the cause of the problem may be and how to get this video card working?

Thank you in advanced for your help.

Nirvana80.

56.72 is most recent driver. Yes, you first have to disable onboard video.

I've tried 56.72 and didn't work. I didn't disable the on board video though.
Thanks I'll try.

Should I disable it from Device Manager or you mean in a physically through the motherboard. If the second one that wouldn't be easy since I haven't got a manual for the motherboard.

Through the bios. It should say which key to press before it boots.

Download the manual from the manufactures website (normally in PDF format so you'll need Acrobat reader to view it, which is also a free download)
Usually press delete or F2 button (depends) when you fist boot.
Look for first display device, set to AGP or if there is an option to disable onboard VGA (usually it's just a case of setting first display device to AGP)
Hopefully your drivers will then be able to initiallize and start the card (I can't be any more specific due to differances in setup and bios type) but the manual normally has a rough bios setup guide.
An older geforce card like this should really be run on older detonator drivers that are better suited to it's earlier chipset type.

Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Problem Solved guys. Thank you.

Nirvana80, Jordan23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back