Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with NT4 Workstations on 2K DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socke

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
DE
Hi, sorry for my english, but I think you can understand my problem ;)

After removing our old NT4 domain and setup of the new 2K3 Domain we discovered Problems with out 2nd DC, running Windows2000.

All Clients (NT4, 2K, XP) are able to auth on both servers. But the NT4 Clients are unable to access the 2K Server.
The 2K und XP Clients don't have this problem.

The 2K Server is a fresh install with SP4. Nothing installed, running as Fileserver.
Only promoted to DC for the new Domain. There is no Problem about Pinging the Server, only to access the Shares. It is like the Server is not there for the NT4 Clients. Access to the 2K3 Server or the other 2K Servers is no problem, only this one.

Name Resolution on NT4 Workstations with Netbios or DNS is no problem.

Hope you have an Idea...thanks for help

Shot in the dark, but have you tried enabling Netbios over TCP/IP on the file server?

Yes, Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled. I thougt the same way, that the Problem could be around the Netbios-Protocol. But no success.

If you have WINS configured be sure it is correct as NT4 uses WINS for name resolution. If you have an incorrect entry for your domain in your WINS database, that would obviously pose a problem.

"Experince That Counts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back