Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with network

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrtechE

MIS
Dec 13, 2004
US
Here is an interesting problem
I recently upgraded the network at a small store pulled 5 new drops and replaced there old switch and router.
I bought a Netgear fvs318 and a fs116
this is a 8 port router and 16 port switch.
Problem begins a few weeks ago. The switch died it keeps reseting and wont stop. Now just today the router starts doing it and it only seems to be the network stack because it doesnt run a self test this is every second.
This is an important thing because the business is run of this. I will be going in the morning to troubleshoot some more including runing a cable tester along every network cable.
Could there be any possible causes and could it just be a fluke.
I seams like if i remove 4 or 5 connections off the router it becomes stable but after adding them back it begins to do it again.
Is there any suggestions you might know of or anyone that has had this issue. Should i try to ground it with the grounding clips on the back.
Another place i worked at threw about 100 of these in labs its a school and they had no problem and never grounded them. Any ideas.

Not MIS, pressed wrong button. Student...

It sounds like you may have spyware flooding your network.

Since your equipment has limited trouble logs, you might want to start a continuous ping and then unplug one of those devices one at a time and see if you network settles down.

When you find the guilty party, run a good spyware program and a virus scan before you connect it back into the network.

Its not spyware its the router/device crashing theres no problem with the computers.

Not MIS, pressed wrong button. Student...

You said:
It seams like if i remove 4 or 5 connections off the router it becomes stable but after adding them back it begins to do it again.

That means you have made sure the problem isn't coming from one device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back