Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with network boot disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a question regarding: creating a Network DOS Boot disk. I want to create a network boot disk so that I can boot to DOS. connect to my fileserver, and run windows 2000 unattended install from a network share. However, everytime the boot process hits the net start, I get the following error . . .

Error 8: There is not Enough Memory Available

I am attempting to attatch to an NT4 PDC Server with 3COM 3C905B 10/100 Ethernet cards on all systems involved. Any help on this error message would be greatly appreciated! Thanks All!

The lovely 640K DOS Barrier.

Need to load DOS in high memory.

in config.sys put the following
Device = himem.sys
DOS=HIGH

If that does not provide enough memory add the follong to config.sys

device = EMM386.exe NOEMS
DOS=UMB

and any other device you load use devicehigh instead of device.

in autoexec.bat put LH with a space after it in front of any batch files or executables. This should load things into UMB and get you enough work space below the 640k Barrier.
It has been several years since I have fought the 640k barrier but I think I remembered everything correctly. I beleive you can load DOS and Device drivers high in DOS 6.0 and above.(Pretty sure it works with 95 and 98 boot disk)

Scott
s-tomlin@mindspring.com My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
s-tomlin@mindspring.com

Hurray!!!

It's all still really a dos based system. Every tech should be study
dos.

Good solution Zach.

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back