Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Netra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

packetloss

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2001
US
Ok, so we moved to a new office, which was not designed for the massive amount of servers we have. This has now lead to a few power outages (it's far less than an ideal situation). So, my Netra X1 has crashed a few times. Now, I can't get the darn thing to boot, even so much to just Fsck the darn drive. Here's a quick rundown of what happens:

Im connected thru the LOM port: It boots, tells me there are errors with /dev/md/dsk/d0, I should run fsck. I then get the typical "Type control-d to proceed with normal startup (or give root password for system maintenance):"

So, I give the root password, next line : " Jan 3 07:53:33 su: 'su root' succeeded for root on /dev/console No Directory!

ENTER RUN LEVEL (0-6, s or S) [3]:

If I select the default of 3, I get:

INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmpx

INIT: SINGLE USER MODE

type control-d .. blah blah..

From this point, no matter what I enter, I go in an endless loop back to the Type control-d prompt. No matter what I select, Im in this loop. I do not have any of the Solaris media, nor do I have another box to boot from. So, anyone have any thoughts, or do I throw this out the window now.

The /dev/md/dsk/d0 tells that you are using mirror did you try booting from the other disk ? Also the Netra X1 doesn't have a CD-Rom but if you have a jumpstart server configured in you network, you can try booting from network in single user mode using jmpstart and them run the fsck.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Carlos Almeida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back