Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with my video clips...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamaker

Programmer
Jan 20, 2002
US
My flash file is working GREAT and the CD Rom project wasnt too complex... my video clips (controlled via mouse actions throughout the CD Presentation) are off by a slight bit ... kind of like an old kung fu flick ... the video/audio arent synch'd... what can I do to correct this?

I'm getting same results on a 900 mhz box, 800mhz box and 500 mhz box running win98, 2000 and XP.

Is your video set to DirectToStage? I know video has probelms when video is not set to DirecttoStage in Director.

Is the audio embedded in the video clips or are they in a separate audio channel. Also, what types are the video clips (mpeg, avi, etc.)

There are a lot of different ways to handle this, but have to know the particulars to steer you in the right direction.

Im using .AVI files with the sound embedded in each... Cinepak codec compression.

The "direct to stage" option as Archerofloaf suggested is a good option as long as you are not trying to perform any special effects or blending to it. This is because "direct to stage" makes the video ignore all other sprites in the frame and have the operating system concentrate on the video.

Another option is to use the "preload" option of video members. This usually causes a small pause at the beginning of the video (or wherever you preload it in the project) but will make the movie run smoother.

The option I usually use (especially if I know the playback environment is controlled) is to use quicktime for all my video. Two caveats to this - you need to make sure that quicktime is installed on the playback machine OR use the DirectMedia Xtra by Tabuleiro. The Xtra also allows for CPU boost to make sure the video runs properly. Using this Xtra allows you to run the mpg format without quicktime installed. Best solution if you don't mind spending 200 bucks.

You can check it out at
Hope this helps -

Crispy

Crispy,

Need your help in a BIG WAY please. I am trying to do exactly what you guys are talking about in this string. My first question is this... what codec do you use when compressing your MPEGs (when I was reading about the DirectMedia Xtra, they suggested Cinepak or Video codecs)? I asume you are on a Mac? If so, are you compressing with Cleaner? My problem so far is this, I do not want the end user to have to install Quicktime on their machine in order for the videos to play. I have tried compressing to .avi in Cleaner but am not happy witht hte quality (end video is 544x432...weird size). Anyway, any info and help would humbly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck
chuck@servicevirtualtour.com

Sorry about the delay...was gone for a few days. I am using an IBM machine and have the convenience of using Adobe Premiere for my video work - that makes it alot easier. As far as codecs go, I generally stick with what I know is shipped with every machine (ie - microsoft video or cinepak) There is a new sorenson video codec that is has an awesome compression algorithm and supposedly does not require the codec to be installed on the target machine...I have not checked into this (you can go to there website to learn more about sorenson)
I only use Cleaner when I am going to use the video on the web. Any other time I use software that lets me tweak the output video to my liking, trying to balance the trilogy - file size, quality, and performance by trading off each one until I find a happy medium. Sometimes it takes a bit of rendering at different levels to find the best.

Lastly, if the Quicktime answer is not an option, avi files will do fine, you just have to try and follow these tips:
1. trim the movie to smallest file size possible
2. try and make the physical size of the movie smaller
3. don't have any cpu taxing items on the same page as the video (ie - flash objects, animations, etc).
4. preload the video piece into memory
5. unload everything from memory you can as you enter the frame (use lingo to purge unneeded castmembers)

One last option for optimized playback is to utilize MIAW feature. Each movie can be called from the main program as a movie in a window. If done correctly, the viewer will not even realize that they have started or stopped another director movie, it will appear as though it drops right into the original movie. This will freeze the original movie and free up all available resources for the MIAW (in this case just the video piece).

Hope this helps,

Crispy

Thanks crispy, I am using the Sorenson 7 (?) codec. I use Final Cut Pro 3 on my Mac and compress using Cleaner as well. I've found that I don't like the Cinepak compression. I really do appreciate you response and advice. I am going to try the MIAW advice.

Thanks again,
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back