Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with mtx.exe (Memory) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shafonso

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
PT
Hi there,

I'm having lots of trouble with mtx ... Can anyone tell me if it's normal to have several mtx processes. I'm having problems with memory (Out of memory) and when I go to the task manager I can see 4 instances of mtx hanging (one with 4MB,two with 11, one 25MB).
I aprecciate some help.

Thanx in advance
Paulo Silva
Lisbon - Portugal

Paulo,

The count of MTX.exe's will depend on the number of packages you have. The formula is MTX_Count = Package_Count + 1. The spare MTX.exe is a sort of "traffic cop" that helps direct traffic.

The size of the package-oriented MTX.exe will vary (read: will grow), and will generally be bigger than the relatively-stable traffic cop MTX.exe. I have seen some of them over 100M in size, and still functioning.

One other thought: if your MTX_Count is higher than the formula above indicates, then yes, there's a definite problem. Unfortunately, I don't know what sort of problem, or how to solve it.

Hope this helps,
Steve

It is better to have your components stateless.Which means that you should call SetComplete/SetAbort once you finish job.
This way you will make the system more extensible and the memory can be used more effectively.

Regards! zallen@cmmail.com
Long live of freedom!

One of the problems I have found is ending processes on mtx.exe's where you really don't know which one to kill. If you have multiple components on your server it's a guessing game when you want to end a process. Usually you look at CPU time and memory, but Microsoft has a cool tool called Tlist which will list the dll's that an mtx.exe is using. That way you can shutdown a component or monitor certain components if you are having a difficulty. Here's the article ID. Bookmark it, it's real useful.

Article ID: Q221143

MrShagadelic,
PView.exe (Process Viewer) which ships with Visual Studios will do the same thing. It will allow you to see all binary files (*.exe, *.dll, *.ocx) that are being used by any process space.
- Jeff Marler B-)

One more comment . . .
What Zallen said is not only true, it is a must. You must ensure that all of your components within MTS or Component Services are stateless. This is VERY important for scalability. - Jeff Marler B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back