Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with motherboard/ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

barny2006

MIS
Mar 30, 2006
US
hi,
i have home made pc that i built in march 2006. it's based on asus p5rd1-v. two 100 gb hard drives, 1024 mb ram, dvd-r, cd-r, modem, and nic card. it has windows xp-pro.
the pc was working ok until recently. when i booted up, the motherborad logo used to appear for a couple of seconds and then go away, and the windows xp would start.
now, the motherboard logo appears and stays on without going further. i have to turn off the pc, and turn it back on for it to go normally. and after the motherboard logo, it gives a message that "could not start overclocking, f1=setup, f2=load defaults".
i have also noticed that my memory that used to show 1024 mb in "my computer" property, now shows 960 mb. somehow i have lost 64 mb of my ram. the ram sticks are 256, 256, and 512.
sometimes when i turn the machien on, a long continuous beep sounds and stays on.
can anyone explain what this probelm is caused by?
thanks.

barny2006,

First, more information about the PC please.
Second, try replacing the CMOS battery, the coin-shaped one in the mainboard
Third, this is Peripheral Issues Forum, you may nave better results here:

forum602

Tony

thanks.
sorry about not providing all the info.
the motherboard is asus p5rd1-v.
1 dvd-rw
1 cd-rw
2 80gb western digital IDE hard drives
onboard graphic card
onboard lan
installed us robotic modem
the pc had 512 mb of ram. (2 sticks of 256 mb each). i am not sure what speed. (maybe 2700)
the problems started when i installed one stick of 512 mb more ram. the speed was 3200.
i'm not sure if rams with different speeds would cause problem or not.
thanks.

Ok, let's be sensible here. Try removing the newly added stick of memory and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you know where the problem lies. If not, then look further.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back