Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with mixing 100mhz & 1g network cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedsmith

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
AU
I have 2 computers with 100mhz and 2 with 1gb cards on a network.
I am trying to send pics between the computer using winsocks.

When I connect 2 computers with a single direct cable it runs lightning fast but when I mix the computers it runs 20 times slower than just between the 100 mhz computers.

Each 8k packet of the picture runs fast but it seems to pause between packets trying to establish the speed?

Any ideas?

I seem to remember the same thing happening when they introduced 100mhz cards to the old 10mhz networks.

Are you sure it's a VB problem? Seems fairly unlikely

Steam Engine Prints

Well it doesnt seem to slow down transferring files on a workgroup but more so when you use a Winsock (Tcpip)
But it might be the same with C as well. I was hoping someone here might have come across the same problem or have a work around so I can use a VB program.

>when I mix the computers

Through a switch or hub? That'll may well be down to the fact that you've got network cards set to speed & duplex autosensing to allow them to determine the best speed. In simple terms, however, they often don't. Best to set them manually (and compatibly; for example my switch doesn't like my PCs to talk with full duplex, so I have to select half-duplex)

I'd agree with setting the cards explicitly to compatible settings. This is always more reliable for me.

The loss of speed may be due to collisions or repeated auto-negotiation sequences.

In the early days there were at least two implementations of full duplex. I suspect that differences still exist in different forms (speeds) of Ethernet and in a mixed enviroment with "auto" set all bets are off. Using a switch instead of a hub adds more complexity because the switch has its own preferences.

Cable type and length can be a factor too. I have a few runs of CAT3 (in the walls, bleh) that will work at 100Mbps where very short, but over about 3 meters I have to select 10Mbps full duplex manually.

Not really, I was interested in the underlying reason.
I ended up using only 1ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back