Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with mistaken 911 calls, change 9 to 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwilkers

MIS
Aug 1, 2002
US
I've had some problems with employees accidentally dialing 911 when trying to make outside ld calls. They hit 9 for an outside line and 1 and somehow 1 again, and where we live ANY 911 call is enough to get the police here, and they want to search the building.

I want to keep this easy access to 911 for when it is needed but eliminate the mistaken calls.

Mainly I'm considering changing the 9 to access an outside line to an 8. Is this the best option? Could someone tell me how to do this?

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
Gabe

**bump**

Can anyone please help me with how to change the 9 to an 8 to get an outside line?

Thanks again,

Gabe

This can be done but it's a lot of data entry work. First, you would have to make sure you have no extensions in the 8000 range and that your SPRE is not set to 8. Then, you need to define 8 as your AC2 in LDs 86 and 15. After that, it's a whole lota data entry. You would have to build all your NPAs, NXXs & SPNs for AC2.

I would agree that changeing your BARS access code from 9 to an 8 is a good solution to your problem. I have done this on several systems and it eliminated the accidental calls to 911. You will need to go to LD 20 and make sure that 8 is not being used on you system.

REQ PRT
TYPE DNB
CUST
DN 8

Once you have verified that 8 is available, go into LD 86 and change AC1 to be an 8.

REQ CHG
TYPE ESN
CUST
AC1 8

Just make sure you let users know ahead of time so you will not be flooded with calls that they can't dial out using a 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back