Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with linking tables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbcmike

Programmer
Sep 9, 2005
US
I am using Access 2003.

Someone sent me an Access mdb file through email. When I open it on my end and try to get into one of the linked tables, it says connection failed. So obviously I use the linked table manager and put my username and password in and I'm good to go.

However, when I exit the mdb, and try to go back in, I have to do this whole process all over again because I can't get into the linked tables. The linked table manager keeps prompting with the username and password of the last person who had this mdb. I'm assuming there is a way for someone to force the file to want their username and password each time it is accessed? If so, how do I take this off?

Ah shoot...I posted this in wrong forum.
To admin: please delete this, Ill repost in access forum

When you link tables using linked table manager, check the box that reads "Save Password".

Nick

Again...I apologize for posting in wrong forum...but since someone replied....

I don't see "save password" when I click linked table manager. What I would really want is for it to not save password I would think anyway...so that it doesn't keep forcing a username and password.

My apologies.... linked table manager does not have a save password option. Here's what you'll need to do:
1) Delete all linked tables
2) Right-click on tables and select link tables
3) Find the correct DSN
4) Input the username and password
5) While selecting the tables from the available tables, check the "Save Password" box (near the bottom right corner).

HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back