Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with link to remote machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSch

Technical User
Jul 12, 2001
DE
Hi folks,

we created a link on our machine to another machine ...

like:

\\server\Directory\file.db

as desktop link ...

But if we double-click on the link the file cannot be accessed. -> There's NO pup-up asking us for username and password.

However if we connect the path without the file as a network drive and give it a drive letter we get a pop-up asking username and password. After we connect to the remote machine this way the link mentioned above suddenly becomes usable ..

What's wrong here ?
How can we make the link usable ?

Regards
Thomas

Go to my computer.right click map network drive follow instructions i.e path, share, permissions etc. if you change you password then it will prompt you for a username and password.

We tried it ...

But from time to time the machine looses the network drive settings after reboot (We have no idea why and how. It happens on several machines).

So we tried using a desktop link that's always going to be there and the connection is supposed to be established as soon as someone tries to access the remote file specified in the link.

first: create a batch file that connects that network share to the desired drive letter and put it in the startup folder. That will take care of your missing network drives.

eg: net use x: \\server\share

second: place shortcut to network drive on desktop. This will provide shortcut to network drive without going to My Computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back