Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with KT7A and GeForce4 MX 420

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxen

Programmer
Mar 6, 2002
GB
Hi guys

Have just been out and purchased a GeForce4 MX 420!!! Got home, plugged it in and all I got was three beeps... Not good!!!
I have the following setup:
ABIT KT7A Raid - Latest BIOS
768mb pc133
Creative Labs GeForce4 MX 420 (trying anyway)
3 40gb IBM deskstar Hdd

and a few other bits which may or may not matter...
What could it be?

any ideas, let me know...

Cheers

Graham

The only AwardBIOS beep code indicates that a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. This beep code consists of a single long beep followed by two short beeps. Any other beeps are probably a RAM (Random Access Memory) problems.

There is an issue with Windows XP and a Fix nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4x00 AGP card compatible issue with Windows XP patch on the website. I don't know if that applies to you or not...would have to look further.
You didn't say what operating system you were using.

Perhaps it wasnt seated quite properly, or you accidentally bumped something during the install?
If not...could very well be bad card.

Nice board by the way..

Kimber
There is no such thing as a dumb question. Only a dumb mistake because you didn't ask...

I am starting to think that it is a bad card!!!

You are right about the beeps on boot up, there is one long followd by two short... Cant get into OS so that wont help at this point (XP Pro btw).

Have just been out and bought a 400w PSU, didnt help either... Will take the card back and get it swapped over, maybe that will help!!!

Cheers

Have now changed to a GF3 ti200, dont work either!!! This time get no beeps at all... Just nothing comes on screen

I think you may have knocked something while you were installing the card...it is easy to do.

Check your ram and the other cards to make sure they are sitting nice and snug in the board.
You could have a bad slot on the motherboard.

Make sure when you are working on the system you ground yourself...like touch the power supply first or wear an anti static strap.
Static electricity can damage components inside a computer.

Was everything working correctly before you started this venture? Are you getting your cards NEW from a store or elsewhere?

Hope to hear from you

Kimber Hope to have helped.

Kimber

That reminds me...did you have this type of card installed before? Was it in a different slot?
Or the same one?

Kimber

Before I had a Matrox G400, so in a way yes as it was an AGP card!!!

If you can beleive it the GF3 ti200 was faulty!!! Took it back and got another and now all is peachy!!! You were right though, I knocked one of the ram chips out :) Amateurs hey!!!

Cheers for youe help mate. Card is superb!!! Can definatly recommend it

Graham

Perfect....and thank you for the feedback..
I always like to know when I have helped someone out

Cheers!

Kimber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back