Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Intermittent and slow connection on 1 PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonQ0105

Technical User
Jun 6, 2004
GB
Hey, I have a PC and Laptop. I just reformatted my PC last night and reinstalled XP Pro SP2. I cannot get the internet to work correctly. If I install the Modem and activate the connection, it gives no errors and everything seems to be fine. However, when I go to google or any other site, it stays at "connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" for 10 seconds or so, then it works.

Then, I can normally have the internet working for about a minute (although it's slow), then I'll just get "Page cannot be found" for everything. It's not even TRYING to find the site I don't think - it comes up straight away.

Sometimes resetting to modem gets it working slowly for another minute or so, then it happens again.

Strangely, when connected to the Laptop (also with XP Pro SP2), it works fine.

Here's some more specific info:

PC:
- MSI KM2M Motherboard
- AMD Athlon 1700+ (266MHz FSB)
- 512MB PC100 SDRAM
- 64MB GeForce2 MX 400 Graphics Card
- 52x52x32 CD-RW
- 50x CD-ROM
- 19GB 5400RPM ATA100 HDD
- 75GB 5400RPM ATA100 HDD
- Netgear Ethernet Card
- On-Board LAN Ethernet
- 6x USB2.0 Ports

On the PC, I've tried:
- Connecting to the Ethernet Port on the Netgear Card
- Connecting to the Ethernet Port on the Motherboard
- Connecting via USB
- IE6 SP6
- Firefox 1.2
- Uninstalling + reinstalling the modem and ethernet interfaces
- Disabling + Enabling the connection many times
- Repairing the Connection many times

No luck.

Laptop:
- Toshiba Satellite Pro 4320
- 6GB HDD
- 32x CD-ROM
- 1x USB1.1

Works perfectly on the laptop, suggesting something is wrong on the PC. However, I've tried all 3 available drivers on BOTH computers (Windows XP ones, the ones on the CD they gave me, and the updated ones on the internet - that are supposed to fix "intermittent connections"!!). They do not affect it at all.

Oh, last thing, it's a Scientific Atlanta WebStar 100 Series Modem on Blueyonder 1Mbps Broadband. I remember contacting their helpline last time I had a similar problem, and after an hour of sugggesting simple, obvious recommeendations that I'd already tried, they couldn't find a solution...so I'm hoping one of you guys can...

Thanks for any replies

It is possible your tcp/ip stack is corrupt. Give this a try, at a command prompt (start-run-cmd-ok) type in netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Then reboot your computer and try it again. Hope this helps!

Okay...

1. I'm assuming the problem exists with both browsers?

2. What service do you have?

3. Stay away from the USB connectivity, its less stable. I would use your separate ethernet adapter. Disable the onboard lan in Windows (delete it if it will let you), then reboot and enter the CMOS setup. Disable the hardware there too.

4. Uninstall the software you loaded to get this modem running, then reload it.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back