Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with incoming smtp mail after migration to w2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpalace40

MIS
Feb 26, 2004
GB
I have just migrated domino 6.5.1 from an nt4 server to a w2k server SP4(fully updated).
I did the usual of copying over the data folder and the notes.ini file to the new server.
I keep the hostname and the ip the same as the old server.

The problem is we are getting no incoming mail.
Outgoing and internal mail is working fine.

On the display you can see

"SMTP Server connected: ip address"
"SMTP SERVER disconnected 0 message(s) recieved".

When I send a test email externally to the server you can see it trying to connect but no messages are actually recieved.

When I "telnet 127.0.0.1 25" it responds with the ESMTP notes listener 6.5 so the SMTP listener is active.

Also there is no IIS installed and no other smtp service running that would interfere with the notes smtp service.

Has anybody got any ideas.

Thanks

Have you tried to telnet to the machine from OUTSIDE your firewall? I would try this first to see if you are actually accepting packets on the firewall side. Then let us know what happens.

thanks for your response.

I can not do that at the moment as I am still running the old nt4 box.

But here is some more info.

-We are running ISA Server on the proxy.
-when i telnet both the internal and external network cards on the proxy a notes listener responds (Should this be the case?)
-one of the reasons for the upgrade is that on the nt4 box incoming email stops working periodically. To get it working i restart the smtp task. After restart an error appears "listener error: port[25] already in use on the system" (I can not find any reason way this error should appear). To get rid of this error I have to pull the external network cable out for about 10 seconds. After it is plugged back in external email starts working.
I am mentioning this incase these two problems (on the w2k and nt4 servers) are steming from the same source. This work around doesnt work on the w2k server install which is way i have to keep going back to the nt4 install.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back