Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with IDE Controllers on Win 95 machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekGeak

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2001
US
I have a Dell pentium 133 machine running Win95. I am trying to add a CD ROM to it. I have tried everything I can think of but I cannot get it to recognize th CD ROM drive. There are warnings on both the primary and secondary IDE controllers in device manager. The hard drive picks up ok though. I tried to put the drive on the same controller as the hard drive setting the jumpers to master/slve but that didn't work either. Can someone point me in the right direction???

I'm thinking that you may need to install some IDE bus mastering drivers. Is this a fresh install of Windoze?

quadt

No, its not a new install. Thanks I tried to remove the controllers and let windows readd them, still same problem. I guess I need to get the drivers from the Dell site.

The CD-ROM drive your trying to install, does your computer meet the minimum system requirments for that drive? I noticed that most of the newer 52X CD-ROM drives especially made by Creative are only usable with a 400Mhz processor.

Have you changed the BIOS and told it you added a new drive?

The Bios is set for auto-detect, both channels are enabled. Are there other settings I need to check?

Yes, the power of the powersupply. I remember trying to add a second hard disk to one of these once and it wouldn't work, the problem boiled down to the power supply not having enough juice.

If you power on the PC and go into the BIOS, does it see th CD Drive? if not try disconnect the HD and power it and check the BIOS again.

HTH

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back