Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with HP Laser Jet 4m - get a message "MF FEED LETTER"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauce

Technical User
Apr 24, 2000
US
When I power the printer on, the display has the message - "MF FEED LETTER" with the "MF" flashing, and the form feed light on. When I push the online button, nothing happens, except when I have a paper in the form feed slot, not the paper tray, and then it only prints 2 short lines of gibberish. Every time I do this, the print is a little different. When I try and print anything through windows, I get the "Out of Paper" message.

any help is appreciated

Sauce [sig][/sig]

First of all, check the config on the printer. Make sure that the MP tray is not set to manual. Also, it is always worthwhile trying to reinstall the printer drivers.

If you have checked the above, let me know how you print (ie locally, through a PS, jet direct etc)

Thanks

I had a similar problem with a 4050n and the culprit was a bad paper tray. It wasn't sensing the size of the paper correctly and thus wanted the user to feed the proper size in manually. Swap trays with another if you can and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back