Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with generating PDF-File

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaggi

Technical User
May 15, 2004
DE
When I view the document I made in InDesign, everything is correct. The text an black objects are black and when I print the document out of InDesign, everything that has to be black is black, too.

But when I want to create a PDF-File, all the black objects become a dark grey. Only the pictures are still black.

Can anybody tell me, what I have to do to get a correct PDF-File?

xaggi,
I too have this problem. Do you create the pdf directly from indesign?
KWM

Yes I do create the PDF directly from InDesign.

Now I have activated the colour management with the result that the black elements are grey in Indesign itself, too.

The color mangement is just simulating the look of black ink in a slightly gray manner in order to contrast it with a rich black. A rich black is...well...blacker than 100%k only when printed.

I was having the same exact problem and was pulling my hair out. My document printed fine from Indesign. The exported PDF however had the following problems:

Solid black boxes were slightly screened.
Text was not solid black.
Ironically the eps that was placed printed out solid black

I think I figured out what the problem was and how to get solid blacks with the exported pdf. Here's how:

1. Go to edit menu and choose color setting; uncheck the top left hand box so "enable color settings is NOT checked.

2. Go ahead and "wxport to PDF"

3. Choose whatever type of pdf you want; screen, print, press.

4. Click on "advanced" in the rectangle on the left side of the export pdf dialog box that's still open.

5. In the pop up box in the top under color choose "leave unchanged"

6. Click export.

The resulting pdf should now have solid blacks and text that is not screened in appearance.

From reading some of the threads I think the reason for the problem has to do with rendering how a 4 color print job gets printed from the pdf. It may end up looking fine when printed on a printing press I suppose but on the desktop laser it gave me an uneasy feeling sending out an add that didn't print right here.

Hope that helps. If I'm off base here or if there are any other tips please let me know.

Hi, well I think, noone can understand, why one has tu suffer this expierience. Pianoguy, you are right, provided you have carefully selected all settings before, you don't get theese strange affects, but what you get is of course nonsense, a coulorimetircally incorrect Artwork. And if you use as "Print as Image Option, you again get something different, but at least an acceptable black. I don't have a real solution found. Your proposal works as well with colourmanagement turned on, provided you have all settings well selected in advance, but still you dont get this great black you gett printing as image.olaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back