Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PROBLEM WITH FILES IN FLASHDRIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengfu

Technical User
Aug 11, 2022
PH
So I have this old files (documents, travel pics and vids) on my old desktop computer and my brother gave me a new desktop so I used my flash drive to copy my files to my new desktop computer when I copied all my files there's no error or problem that I encounter during that time, but when I try to transfer my files from flash drive to my new computer that my brother gave me I can't copy and paste and I found out that there are two folders inside my flash drive that are damage not all but only 2 folders and all files inside those damage folder the name became cryptographic symbols I can't describe(see attached picture) Is there anyone can help me to recover my files this files is my memories hehe.
pics_afzkug.jpg
PICS1_kc5wnk.jpg

I use ISOBuster. It's slow but thorough.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Do you see the same problem when you use good old DOS prompt approach?

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

If the files are ok on your old PC, then maybe your flash drive is damaged. You can use another, or burn the pictures on CD/DVD.

If you want to repair the files on your flash drive, you can try to use CHKDSK. (once, i could recover with it damaged pics from an old camera SD-card)

But before using it look at the help carefully
[pre]CHKDSK /?[/pre]

The usage is something like this:

First run checkdisk to diagnose type of error on your disk:
[pre]CHKDSK E:[/pre]

Then depending on the results
- if there are errors run
[pre]CHKDSK E: /F[/pre]

- if there are bad sectors
[pre]CHKDSK E: /R[/pre]

Status
Not open for further replies.