Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with ex-ISP spoofing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnfranklin

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2002
GB
Hi All,

Wonder if you can shed any light on this, and offer any advice as to where I stand legally on the following issue.

We parted company with a "certain" ISP in December 2002, it was on bad terms.

Since then every 3 months or so a message arrives in my inbox from the root mailbox @ our domain. The problem is this root mailbox exists on the old ISP and no longer with our new ISP.

The message is CCD to about 10 of my clients. The message was originally sent late December 2002 by me.

If I look at the header information, it definately is coming from the old ISP. Even has some "extra" header info added at the bottom which is fake.

This isn't doing much for my rep, as everytime this message arrives I have to then contact all the clients to apologise and explain that I never sent the message.

Our MX records are fine, so this is definately on their server, and this routes any mail sent from my clients (that are hosting with this ISP) is routed wrongly to the old records, thus not getting deliverred.

I have contacted the ISP by email and asked for a full explanation and also to make sure all records for our domain are deleted.

They are point blank ignoring me.

Where do we stand on this?

Thanks

JF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back